Re: [IP] Re: A1C Numbers and How They Compare to Blood Sugars

At 04:40 PM 3/25/2003 -0500, email @ redacted wrote:

>Over the past 7 months Claire had two HbA1cs done in the doctor's
>(paediatrician) office on the DCA2000 machine that a nurse brought in for
>that day's clinic.  Both of these results seemed "not right" to me.  After
>the second time, I asked the nurse how often they calibrated the machine.
>She said it had never been calibrated and they were wondering at that time
>(after using it for one year) whether this was something they should do.  I
>later telephoned the endo's nurse in the big city, where they also use a
>DCA2000 machine for the kid's clinic appointments.  She told me that they
>calibrate their machine daily with the lab.

The calibration instructions - including frequency - should be with the
documentation for the instrument.

Because these are waived tests, they have the same accuracy and precision
requirements of our own meters.  I think it's probably fine for use most of
the time, but my personal recommendation is that you insist that at least
one HbA1c a year be sent out to be done by standard methods.

I raised this question at work about a month ago, and I've been given an
opportunity to pull something together over several centers at CDC to look
at laboratory practice and patient care recommendations.  It will take a
while, but I'll keep you informed.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent
those of my wife who runs our house and makes more important decisions than
I do.