[IP] Re: A1C Numbers and How They Compare to Blood Sugars

> <<Home tests are in the waived category under CLIA which means that there is
> much more lax level of precision and accuracy - approximately +/- 20%.  The
> same is true for the HbA1c tests that are done in a physician's office -
> particularly the rapid tests where results are returned in a few minutes.
> The laboratory test for HbA1c is done by gas hemochromatography which is
> much more precise and accurate (+/- 1%) - and takes some time to prepare
> the
> specimen>>
Over the past 7 months Claire had two HbA1cs done in the doctor's
(paediatrician) office on the DCA2000 machine that a nurse brought in for
that day's clinic.  Both of these results seemed "not right" to me.  After
the second time, I asked the nurse how often they calibrated the machine.
She said it had never been calibrated and they were wondering at that time
(after using it for one year) whether this was something they should do.  I
later telephoned the endo's nurse in the big city, where they also use a
DCA2000 machine for the kid's clinic appointments.  She told me that they
calibrate their machine daily with the lab.
     It was really nice when we lived on the other side of the country and I
knew that the hospital lab used hemachromotography for the HbA1c.  This test
actually needs only a teeny, tiny drop of blood. Claire was so upset at
filling a vial of blood that they marched her right into the gleaming lab and
she pricked her finger right in front of the technician. One drop of blood
and one second later the slide was put into the machine and the results would
later be sent directly to the endo.   I was really hoping that the DCA2000
could replicate this procedure, but it isn't in this town.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 8