Re: [IP] diabetes and pregnancy with twins

> She was born at 38 weeks a healthy little girl at 8 lbs. 1 oz.  I had
> a vaginal birth with an epidural and only 5 hours of hard labor.  But,
> if I had to do it again, I would schedule a c-section at 38 weeks and
> not have to deal with the pain.

I've had both kinds of delivery.  My first was also 8 lbs. 1 oz., delivered
ten days early.  I had no epidural in a twelve hour labor that was pitocin

My second was 9 lbs. 14 oz., and they elected to schedule a Cesarean,
because with the large weight and specifically, a hefty midsection, they
were concerned about big problems with her getting stuck in the birth canal
after the head was delivered.  This problem is more common with diabetic
moms, because often the midsection has more girth than a baby of the same
weight born to a non-diabetic.  My daughter fit that typical profile.

I was pain free during the delivery, but in the first few hours afterward,
in recovery, I was on an IV pain med that I was supposed to press a button
for more whenever it hurt.  The entire time, I was in pain, and that drip
didn't touch it.  It wasn't until I was given percocet pills that the pain
was taken care of.  Even then, when it wore off, I experienced a lot of
pain, and it became less effective in the days that followed.

Eight days later, when the pain wouldn't abate and I was still very
dependent upon the percocet for pain management, I went to the ER and they
discovered that there was an infection in my incision.  I don't know if I've
ever experienced that much pain in my life as when they drained it!  For the
next four and a half months, I was having dressing changes every day, for
the first two months twice daily.  During those first two months, I took
pain meds around the clock.  Initially, the dressing changes were very
painful, as well.

Infection is at much greater risk when the delivery is surgical.  (I was
told after my infection was discovered, "This happens more often than you
might think."  I have no idea exactly HOW often that is, though.)  And while
a natural delivery may well be painful, I'd exchange my second delivery for
my first any day of the week.

In addition to that, babies born to diabetic mothers tend to take longer to
mature.  At the same stage in development, they will not be as well
developed as the baby of a non-diabetic.  (Of course this varies, but it is
an increased risk for babies of diabetic moms.)  While they often do induce
diabetics early, it is something to be done with caution.  It is very
possible at 38 weeks for the lungs to still be immature, making an early
delivery more risky.

I must acknowledge my personal bias toward natural childbirth which likely
skews my perspective, but I strongly believe that it is a misperception to
think that a Cesarean delivery avoids pain.  The pain may be less intense,
but it lasts longer with a Cesarean delivery than it does with a vaginal

Of course, YMMV.  I have fond memories of my first childbirth.  I asked for
an epidural and was denied it.  Afterwards I was actually glad about that,
because the pain never became unbearable (for me) and when it was over, I
experienced a real emotional high.  I felt like I could do anything if I had
done that!  I was too excited to sleep after the birth of my first, while
after my second, all I could do was sleep.  (The sleep was due to very low
blood pressure following surgery, being quite drugged up, and not
experiencing the adrenaline high that is the result of a natural birth.)

Many mothers who go through natural childbirth absolutely hate it.  They
just don't look at it the same way I do.  Many think that a good delivery
involves as little pain as possible.  (That's just not the way I look at
it.)  If that's you, that's fine!  The important thing is not so much how
the baby arrives as it is how healthy the baby is and *that s/he's here!*  I
just think it worthwhile to consider the other side when Cesarean is looked
at as a method of avoiding pain.

Again, I don't want to be critical of any mother for the choices she and her
doctor made about her delivery.  What's right for you may well be nothing
like what is right for me.  I just wouldn't want someone to decide to avoid
the pain and struggle of natural childbirth by Cesarean, only to learn too
late that it offers its own pain and struggles.  If you still want to opt
for a Cesarean, that's fine!  I'm just encouraging you to make an informed

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990