From: "Chris Saunders" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: [IP] Travel Letter Help - ASAP

> To Whom it concerns,
>
> <INSERT NAME> has Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. It is currently controlled by
> mechanical device, known as an insulin pump.
>
> This pump attaches to the body and continuously feeds <INSERT NAME>
> insulin. If the insulin pump is removed or turned off for more than a
> couple hours, Diabetic Ketoacidocis (DKA) may start to affect <INSERT
NAME>.

=) --------------

> Hows that for a start? I do much better editing than creating originals.
:-)

TO: EMERGENCY CARE PERSONNEL

NAME>> uses and insulin pump to meet his needs for insulin because of Type 1
Diabetes Mellitus. The insulin pump delivers insulin in a way that more
closely mimics release by the normally functioning pancreas than does one or
two injections a day. NAME's pump matches his insulin needs as determined by
history, blood glucose levels, food to be eaten, and expected exercise.
Normally, NAME checks his blood glucose levels with a home glucose meter and
adjusts insulin deliver to maintain as near normal blood glucose levels as
possible.

Insulin is given two ways via the insulin pump:

  a.. Basal Rate: a continuous insulin infusion, the amount of insulin the
patient requires to maintain a normal metabolic state when not eating.
  b.. Bolus: the insulin infused with food intake. Rodney has been taught to
adjust this depending on blood glucose levels, food to be eaten, and
expected exercise.
INSTRUCTIONS:

  a.. Leave pump in place. Continue basal rate, even if Rodney is unable to
eat. Rodney is infusing NovoLog Human Insulin Analog U100. His set basal
rates are as follows:
  23:59 to 04:00 100000units per hour                   12:00 to 13:00
100000 units per hour 22:00 to 24:00 1000000 units per hour

  04:00 to 06:00 10000000units per hour                   13:00 to 18:00
100000000 units per hour

  06:00 to 08:00 10000000 units per hour                               18:00
to 19:00 9.0 units per hour

  TOTAL DAILY USE

  Allow NAME to test his own blood glucose levels with a glucose meter and
adjust bolus as he has been taught. Bolus will be adjusted as follows:

  1 unit insulin to 5 grams of carbohydrate High blood sugar bolus 1 unit
drops 25mg/dl

  BLOOD GLUCOSE ADJUSTMENT

  <70 mg/dl Subtract 1 unit from bolus

  70 to 100 mg/dl No Adjustment

  Every 25 mg/dl above 150 mg/dl Add 1 unit

  Every 100 mg/dl above 300md/dl Add 4 units

  If NAME need to bolus to counteract a high blood glucose condition, Rodney
will check his blood glucose levels every two hours until it returns to
normal plus 4 hours

  b.. If NAME is ketotic, it probably means that his pump is not functioning
properly or is blocked or been removed. Have Rodney do a site and pump
check, if problem is found he will do a change as he has been taught. Have
NAME check his blood glucose every 2 hours and bolus as above.
  c.. As noted previously, continue the basal rates if Rodney is unable to
eat. Blood glucose levels should be checked, by NAME if possible, every 3
hours, and boluses adjusted as above.
WARNINGS!!!!

*DO NOT DISCONTINUE PUMP without giving insulin by another means. Otherwise,
Rodney will have no insulin and will develop ketoacidosis. If pump is
discontinued, NAME will immediately need Regular Insulin.

*Blood glucose measurements used to determine bolus adjustments must be
current. It's much safer to make adjustments from Rodney's reading than to
wait for blood glucose results from the lab. NAME has been trained to do
this, and routinely does 15 times a day, so it is second nature to him.

*The exceptions to this rule are if there is a doubt about Rodney's ability
to perform intelligently or if there is concern about the accuracy of the
glucose meter.

*If NAME has an infection or is under stress, blood glucose levels may go
up. Continuing the basal dose and covering high blood glucose levels with
boluses is a reasonably safe way of doing things.

NAME's Medical Problems:

  a.. Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus, treated by external pump delivering
continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion.
  b.. Diabetic Nephropathy
  c.. Allergies: Penicillin, Sulfa,
Name:                                                         PUMP:Minimed
sn#

ADDRESS

PHONE

ER CONTACTS:

Health Insurance Info:

Endocrinologist:                            Clinic:                  Endo
OFFICE:                 Pager:                 EMAIL:

PCP:

GI:

Podiatry:

Eyes:

Pharmacy:

Hospital:                                      TO HAVE OPERATOR TO PAGE
DOCTOR

SECOND PAGE IS HISTORY AND DRUGS/ALL PUMP SUPPLIES

HOPE THIS HELP i HAVE THIS IN 97WORD i CAN SEND YOU COPY

                            REMEMBER TO SMILE AND BE HAPPY

                                                          Rodney

---