RE: [IP] Re: A1C Numbers and How They Compare to Blood Suga rs

Leonard [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> WELL, IMNSHO, and mine only, a test done once every 3 months,
>  compared to a
> test done 10 time
> a day, just cant be all that great. sure i have it done.
> (if my doctor would allow, id have it done every month.)

You're comparing apples to oranges.  The HbA1c is the best indicator of
overall control and association with diabetic complications.  But it's
useless in making the small adjustments that we do almost automatically in
the course of a day.

There's really little to be gained by having the HbA1c test done more than
quarterly because RBCs live about three months.  Even with a relatively
large change in one's control, the difference in HbA1c month to month would
be pretty slight.

Jim Handsfield