RE: [IP] Re: A1C Numbers and How They Compare to Blood Sugars

Wayne [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Jim, I think the the problem here is how one defines success. We
> really know exactly how high BG leads to complications in diabetes.
> The A1C is a convenient method to assess longer term BG control, but
> there is little mechanistic evidence that would link hemoglobin
> glycation to say retinal bleeding or nerve damage.

I don't know about retinal bleeding, but the most significant result of the
DCCT was the very strong association between HbA1c and retinopathy.

> The A1C also
> provides information about the BG when we don't test, and so we and
> the docs can see "how good we have been".  But as you know, the
> standard deviation in the correlation between A1C and complications
> is very large.

HbA1c is useless for correction of the daily variation in BG.  The standard
deviation is really not that big as biomedical studies go, and the
association between HbA1c > 7 and retinopathy is statistically significant.
Further, the association gets stronger as the HbA1c increases indicating a
dose response.

And I'm glad you like the sig. 8-)

Jim Handsfield