Re: [IP] A1C Numbers and How They Compare to Blood Sugars

------------- leann marcucci wrote ---------
> would you mind explaining this statement a little?
> <quoting a previous poster>" It's my understanding
> from things I've read, as well as my CDE and Endo,
> that hypos and highs will skew it though."
> <snip>
> so a person who swings wildly- say, has lots of 50's

> and 500's - who ends up with an average a1c of say
> 8; would that 8  be more or less likely to be an
> accurate "measurement and prognosticator of future
> complications" than a person who's bs is always
> around 180- an average a1c of 8.

My response is based on my experience and my
accumulated knowledge of A1c's. Someone with more
knowledge may correct my response as needed.

A person who swings wildly with a background average
of 180 MIGHT be in the same place as the person who is
constant at 180 - all other things being equal.  The
problem being what is their average WITHOUT the wild
swings?  Then you can interpolate from the swings to
see which way they skewed the test.

HOWEVER, the indication and predictor of complications
as interpreted by the A1c is over time. Not just
today's test.  If an A1c is consistently at 8.0 or 9.0
or 6.0 over *many* tests, that is where the numbers
become a more accurate prediction of future

BUT, the caveat once again, complications are NOT just
predicated upon your BGs.  Complications HAVE been
seen in people with diabetes who have taken pristine
care of themselves.  Complications have NOT been seen
in people who haven't cared a hill of beans about
their BGs.  Genetics play a large part in your
tendency toward complications.  And, yes, tight
control of BGs reduces likelihood of complications
(I'm not saying it's not worth having tight control).

My advice - do not use the A1c as your *sole* source
of indications of complications.  Use it as part of
the whole picture - quality of life, if you will.
Over time.

-gail in denver
Highest A1c - 15 during college.  Lowest - 7.1, 12
months ago.  No complications.

Do you Yahoo!?