RE: : RE: [IP] Re: A1C Numbers and How They Compare to Blood Suga rs

Lutz, Leonard [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> if one test , 8 - 10 times a day, and rarely goes below 60,
> and rarely goes
> above 180-210
> (i did say rarely)
> how could one say that, this is in fact, is not an indication, of
> "success at controlling our diabetes."

An indication, yes.  Rigorous prognosticator, no.
> It would seem to me, that checking and correcting it hour to
> hour, sure
> indicates, that,
> for the most part, one IS controlling one's diabetes
> (of course....................... I could be wrong)

I did not say that frequent testing is not part of good control.  But the
rigorous measure is the HbA1c.

> what is being stated here ???
> are you sure, or are you not so sure ?????

Home tests are in the waived category under CLIA which means that there is a
much more lax level of precision and accuracy - approximately +/- 20%.  The
same is true for the HbA1c tests that are done in a physician's office -
particularly the rapid tests where results are returned in a few minutes.
The laboratory test for HbA1c is done by gas hemochromatography which is
much more precise and accurate (+/- 1%) - and takes some time to prepare the

And I didn't/don't take your post as a personal attack. 8-)

Jim Handsfield