RE: [IP] Re: A1C Numbers and How They Compare to Blood Sugars

Shawna [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Yes, the numbers can be skewed because of too many hypos, as
> well as highs.
> That's the problem with averages.

I'm not sure about that because I haven't studied the glycation process in a
lot of detail.  But the test is *not* an average.  The test tells - at the
time of the test - the percentage of RBCs that are glycated.  That is *the*
measure of diabetes control because of the time element in the glycation
process, and it is that measurement that is the prognosticator of future
complications.  The home blood tests that we do every day are less rigorous
approximating tests that help us estimate our insulin needs - but they are
not the measure of our success at controlling our diabetes.

Jim Handsfield