[IP] Dupuytren's Contracture

 I don't know if someone else has already pointed this out, as I get the digest
version, but the April Diabetes Forecast has an article on Diabetes and Your
Hands about stiff hand syndrome, carpal tunnel, and Dupuytren's Contracture. The
article says that increased collagen in the tissues causes the tendons of the
fingers to become shortened and unable to glide properly. Trigger finger is an
early symptom.

 I think I may have this. I recently went to the doctor about an index finger
that is very stiff and painful. He diagnosed it as tendonitis, but did not use
the term Dupuytren (I also have tendonitis in my wrists) and sent me back to
"hand therapy" Friday (I went to weeks of hand therapy last year for my wrists).
The hand therapist noted that my fingers are all quite stiff. She kept telling
me to relax and I kept saying, "this IS me relaxed". I am supposed to begin to
do "passive" stretches--using my other hand to bend my finger to my palm (this
hurts!) and also ice. I'm going to be going to hand therapy two times a week for
4 or 5 weeks. At hand therapy we do stretches, massage and other things I can't
remember the terms for.

I'd love to hear more about people's experiences with this type of problem!

Katie McGovern