Re: [IP] Re: Types of Diabetes

> As a result,
> when it's clear someone is clueless about the differences in diabetes
> etiology, treatment, prognosis, etc., sometimes I just find it easier to
> I have "juvenile" diabetes. This seems to immediately call up vivid images
> cinematic scenes--e.g., see Steel Magnolias or Panic Room--in which
> representations of life-threatening BG levels publicly reflect our private
> concerns and/or experiences. Though I don't like having to resort to
> jargon, this has seemed to work better than giving a lengthy lecture to
> who, for one reason or another, have a limited understanding of Type 1 vs.
> Type 2.

In some ways, I like that name better than the current number system.  At
least, with the name "juvenile diabetes" there is some description to it
that explains something, makes some sense.  And there is none with, "Oh,
you're probably thinking of type 2.  I'm type 1."  I have had that same
conversation, occasionally, with the same people over and over again.  It's

Some here talk about taking the opportunity to educate.  I simply don't
think that is necessary.  Why should people without any personal dealings
with diabetes have to know all the facts related to it?  They don't NEED to
know, and most often, they don't care to, either.

Hence, the frustration with the same name for two very different diseases.
Though there are many similarities between the two, the treatment methods
are very different.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990