Re: [IP] Re: Call It Something Else (Was: Diabetic Magazines--Any Suggestion...

>OK. I'm hearing more and more of this (not just from this list) and I'm
>curious. Why do type 1s not want to be associated with type 2s?
>Jan and ElvisToo

Ok, for me, it's not whether we call it Type 1 or Type 2 or anything
else.  I just hate all the news media reporting that diabetes is cause by
being fat and eating lots of junk food, etc.  I would think most Type 2s
would be sick of that too.  All of us, I think, are tired of being blamed
for our diabetes.  As another poster said, there are overweight people who
do not have diabetes, so just being overweight does not cause
diabetes.  There is another factor here... uhhhhh could it be genetics?  I
know thin people who were diagnosed with Type 2 (my father, for one).  I
think a lot of Type 1s who have managed to survive to be older (like
myself) do get tired of hearing people comment, "you have diabetes?  Well,
geez, if you'd just lose some weight, you could get rid of it".  We all
know this is not true, even for Type 2s.  Once you have it, you have
it.  It won't go away.  Whether you lose 50 pounds or not.  The reason I
say this is because even though the symptoms for Type 2s MAY diminish if
they lose weight, they still have diabetes.  They still have to watch what
they eat.  So, the problem is not the name.  The problem to me is the news
media blaming diabetes on one thing, weight.  There's so much more to it
than that.  My 2 cents, for what it's worth.