[IP] Re: Bolusing for fat and so on...

>I just wanted to share my experience regarding bolusing for fat. I
>have found
>that I *do* need extra insulin for a very high fat meal, not just a
>extended bolus. For example, on the few occasions when I have eaten
>just eggs
>for a meal (I know, I know, not very balanced or healthy), I need to
>bolus about
>2 or 3 units spread out over about an hour or an hour and a half.

This is not likely due to the fat in the eggs, but the protein,
especially since you aren't consuming carbs.  Each egg has roughly 7g
of protein.  Part of that protein will eventually break down into
sugar. (or, PERHAPS, the protein is stimulating glucagon
production??? ;-)

The extra insulin you need isn't really due to the fat, but the
protein.  (If you notice most high-fat foods tend to be high in
protein, but the fat is usually what is "blamed" for the need of
insulin.  Fat, however, does NOT break down into sugar (at least not
easily...takes up to 24 hours), whereas protein does.

HOWEVER, there is also the issue of fatty acids in the bloodstream that
cause increased insulin resistance.  So, the fat COULD cause your basal
insulin to not work as effectively, though I suspect that isn't the
case unless you are eating a LOT of eggs!  :-)