[IP] Autoimmune disease-Type 1

I have not seen any posting stating that Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune
disease.  For those of you that don't know what that is (I am sure the Type 1s
do), it is a disease in which the body's own immune systems attacks itself and
mistakes good cells for invading cells....thus the distruction of beta cells,
therefore no more insulin production due to no more beta cells (this is a
really simple explanation).  There is no way NONE in which someone can prevent
this from happening ....The reason I am responding to these postings about
Type of diabetes is because I am tired of the media and the general public
deciding that my TYPE 1 11 3/4 year old child could have prevented getting
TYPE 1 at the tender age of 5.  I am tired of hearing ..."did he used to be
fat"  I am tired of hearing "does he eat too much candy"...."why doesn't he
just take pills"........as a result, my son has gotten to the point where he
prefers not to tell anyone about his Type 1 diabetes and this, as you know
could be VERY dangerous! No, he did not drink formula or cow's milk at an
early age, He was breast fed.....no, we do not have Type 1 in our family
history nor Type 2.  My son is and has always been thin.  Sorry for so long,
but if I keep reading or hearing about how "easy" type 1s have it, i will
scream.  Yes, without insulin within a few days my son would be DEAD.