[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #153

><<<<<<< AND the "myth" that high blood sugars REQUIRE more

>come again?  Myth?   Don't you take more insulin when your BG
>is high?  Isn't that what we are supposed to do?  What are you
>talking about here?  Even I can't help you ;-)
>- -wayne

Wayne, I think she was referring to the "myth" that higher blood sugars
require a higher correction factor.  For example, at 200, you might
take 1 unit for every 50 mg/dL over 100..but at 300, you might take 1
unit for every 40 mg/dL.

Sara is partially right on that one, I believe. However, it often
APPEARS that a correction factor needs to increase in practice because
not only is the BG still high, but it is still going up, therefore, you
don't just give a correction, but extra to account for the rise that
will continue to occur.

But, if the BG level is no longer rising, than the same correction
factor should continue to work at all BG levels, theoretically.