Re: [IP] Glucagon findings and pizza

<<<<<<<<<<That is an incorrect assumption.  It is a FACT that if you
try to slam your blood sugar down by giving one bolus, you WILL
engage the counter regulatory hormones.  You WILL, in effect, CREATE
the glucagon effect!!  You need the same amount of insulin for 30
carbs of pizza or 30 carbs of orange juice or 30 carbs of cap'n
crunch or 30 carbs of Ben and Jerry's....The ONLY variable is the
TIMING of that insulin.  If you took all 10 units at the TOP of your
pizza, then you are SLAMMING your blood sugar down BEFORE the carbs
even hit your blood stream due to the FAT content!!  Your body will
fight this drop in blood sugar by dumping in counter regulatory
hormones, like adrenaline,
cortisol, growth hormone, glycagen (or is it glucagon..i get them
confused...wayne...help!!) >>>>>>>>

	Sara, i love you, but you really do need help here indeed :-)
The fat doesn't slow it down enough, at least in all people.  or most
i don't think.  And for sure not me.  I often have 2 slices of pizza
hut pepperoni pan pizza with a beer.  Decades of experience has
taught me that i need 8 units for this.   That is, 3 h after eating
I'm normal (well my BG is anyway).  I take these 8 u all at once 15
min before eating.  Still, 1 h after eating my BG is usually over
200, and it takes the insulin another 2 h to bring the BG down.   The
carbs almost always hit well before (if i were you I'd have
capitalized this 'before') the insulin, fat be damned.   It's YMMV of
course, but I think most diabetics would work like this (except those
with gatroparesis)

<<<<<<<Your brain does this FREAK OUT thing not because of what you ATE...but
because of the TIMING of your insulin. As you showed in your experiement with
the personal pizza, it is ALL in the timing; you can PREVENT the brain from
freaking out and sending in the glucagon.  The liver does not send it in on
its OWN...>>>>>>>>>>

	I'm not sure my brain ever freaks out because of either what
i ate or the timing of my boluses.  The brain can seize when BG gets
low enough, and you could get some reflex release of glucagon from
the pancreas at BGs higher that what will give seizures.  But this
reflex release is severely impaired in us type 1s.  The liver
actually may be smarter than you think.  It responds to lots of
signals to breakdown glycogen into glucose.

<<<<<<< AND the "myth" that high blood sugars REQUIRE more insulin.>>>>>>>>>

	come again?  Myth?   Don't you take more insulin when your BG
is high?  Isn't that what we are supposed to do?  What are you
talking about here?  Even I can't help you ;-)