Re: [IP] Types of Diabetes

>>> I think IDDM and NIDDM are perfect. You either
take insulin or don't.

Actually, IDDM and NIDDM is not nearly description enough.  While all
Type 1's are IDDM (or will be), not all IDDM are Type 1.  In fact, some
Type 1 diabetics can ALSO become Type 2 diabetics...meaning that they
have insulin resistance problems in addition to not producing any
insulin to begin with.

IDDM and NIDDM are only indicators of treatment, not of the actual
problem.  A Type 2 diabetic who takes insulin doesn't do so because
their body killed off their beta cells.

Type 2 diabetics have to live under far stricter diets unless they are
insulin-dependant....and even then, it is trickier, because they can
never know for certain how much insulin is needed as insulin resistance
can fluctuate.

In the past, it was always viewed that Type 1 was "worse" than Type
2...but I contend that it is just the opposite today.  It is far easier
to live a "normal" life with Type 1 today given advances in
understanding carb-counting, having insulin pumps, etc.  I am not
constrained to any diet...I can eat what I want.  Not so for a great
number of Type 2s.

Anyhow, I just don't see IDDM and NIDDM being very useful in describing
what actual disease one has.