Re: [IP] Types of Diabetes

>>> I think IDDM and NIDDM are perfect. You either
take insulin or don't. Please don't take offense to this but are people
really that lazy to say that they do or do not require insulin?>

I know a T-2 who feels better when she takes her insulin. I said "Then you
take shots?" No. She said again about taking her insulin. Again I asked
about shots. No. She was referring to her *insulin* pills. I had to explain
that she was not taking insulin. Even some DMers do not know. ;-)  Besides,
a T-2 is not especially IDDM when using insulin as they are controlled with
it, but if it is withheld they would not be dead in 3 days. Yes, fewer
complications, better feeling, and lots of ETC., but it is not the same as
T-1. NO offense to those sensitive to the reference.

>> Of those of you that
were diagnosed later in life (basicly older then 10 i guess)  what did you
know of diabetes? Generally speaking, probably not a whole lot of nothing if
anything at all unless you were exposed to it through other people. >>

And what about those before 10? ;)  I was 11 and the only thing I knew was
when I was 6-7 a friend a year younger told me her uncle had to take a spoon
of sugar every day to keep from getting sugar diabetes. That's all I knew. I
do not mind explaining what I have. I know what I have and those *outsiders*
usually have no clue and it gives me an opportunity to further educate.

Last night at dialysis I watched Murder She Wrote and a DMer killed himself
by injecting sugar solution with a syringe. I said to the charge nurse it
that was shows like that which carried on DM myths. She said he could have
killed himself - his BG could have gone to 2000. I said I knew of some who
did (on this list) who had that high and it wouldn't have been a matter of
hours, but longer. His wife found him shortly after he had done it and he
was dead. She thought a second, then agreed with me. (~_^)

Dialyzing since 7/8/02
picture of the World's Youngest Pumper)

Sign In Pet Store: "Buy one dog, get one flea..."