Re: [IP] Glucagon findings and pizza

Well Ryan, i'm wondering if you could explain more clearly how you
use to bolus for pizza,  and how you now do it.   And what your BGs
were then and now. (Be as specific as possible--by extended I'm
assuming you mean square wave?)
   However, despite your using the glucagon theory to base these
changes, you still must recognize that there is no evidence I've seen
that would show glucagon is released in response to eating ANY food,
let alone mozzarella cheese.  And from an evolutionary point of view,
it seems to make little sense to have evolved a system that releases
a hormone that increases liver glucose production at the time when
you just have eaten.   So just because you find a bolus method that
works, doesn't really support a role for glucagon at all.

<<<<<<,I wanted to thank Wayne for the information he provided regarding
glucagon in type 1 diabetics.  ..........Anyhow, this information
made me wonder if there was a way to stop the glucagon from being
released in response to pizza.  What I have been doing is giving an
additional square wave bolus of 3 units after I eat pizza to
counteract the glucagon...but given this information, and the fact
that several people have, instead, just given HALF of their normal
bolus for the carbs in pizza immediately, and half as an extended
bolus, I thought I'd try something.  By giving an extended bolus of the
insulin for pizza instead of my method of giving all of it immediately,
and then requiring an additional bolus to counteract the glucagon, I
tried the other method of giving half of the bolus as extended,
eliminating the extra 3 units. I did this using a pizza that is a
personal-pan size that is consistant each and every time to avoid the
possibility of variation of portion sizes.  Anyhow, as expected, by
maintaining a higher level of insulin in the bloodstream over that
extended bolus (3 hours for my test), the normal delayed rise that I
normally get did not occur.

So, this all seems to support the ideal that glucagon DOES cause the
delayed rise...but by keeping the insulin levels higher in the blood
stream for a prolonged period, you can inhibit the body from releasing
the glucason, ......>>>>>>>>