Re: [IP] Types of Diabetes (Was: Diabetic Magazines)

Why want another name? Isn't it just going to confuse people even more?
Personally, after 14+ years of having to sit and explain my diabetes to
people I really don't care. I think IDDM and NIDDM are perfect. You either
take insulin or don't. Please don't take offense to this but are people
really that lazy to say that they do or do not require insulin? IMNSHO I just
care if medical personel know the difference between IDDM and NIDDM.  Which I
know is not always the case <sigh>I could give two you know whats if the
third person i walk past today know the difference. So I have to educate
them. I am more then willing on giving them  correct information.
NIDDM (metabolic diabetes, Type 2 whatever u want to call it) is much more
common nowdays. So can you blame the general public? Of those of you that
were diagnosed later in life (basicly older then 10 i guess)  what did you
know of diabetes? Generally speaking, probably not a whole lot of nothing if
anything at all unless you were exposed to it through other people.

Changing the name is not going to solve the problem. There are hundreds of
thousands of doctors of the  old school of thought. I am trying real hard
here to figure out WHO would benefit from a name change? Do you realize how
long that would take? Chances  are it won't even take and you are going to
have to explain even more.

Honestly people, is this of that much concern? Look at what is going on in
the world today. Especially today. Are you going to worry about how the
general public describes the disease you have? Or how the media preceives it?
 Sorry if I seem annoyed or what not, but I am watching bombs going off  in
Kawait and watching a news reporter having to evacuate while on live tv while
I am readings posts about name changes of diabetes, I am just don't see the
significance right now.

I am probably going to get blasted for this post, which is fine. But please
do not email me privately.

dxd age 7 1988 pumping 1992