Re: [IP] diabetes name change

 >  Offhand, my suggestion is to change the names to "autoimmune
 >diabetes" versus "metabolic diabetes" (that's type I versus type II,
 >respectively, for the newest folks on the list).   I'm trying to think
 >of a better term for type II, but no other one-word terms leap to mind
 >right away.  Again - the name changed once already, the medical
 >establishment must have a mechanism (formal or informal) by which the
 >name can change again......

Actually, the names have changed several times over the last 30 years or
so.  I was diagnosed with Juvenile Onset Diabetes Mellitus, then the name
was changed to Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus or IDDM, then it was
changed to Type I, then it was changed to Type 1, now it seems to be in the
process of changing to Auto-immune Mediated Diabetes Mellitus.

The other kind of Diabetes has been called (as far as I know) Adult Onset
Diabetes Mellitus, Non-Insulin-Dependent Diabetes Mellitus (NIDDM), Type
II, and Type 2.

And what about Type Weird, Type 1-1/2, MODY, and--what's the other acronym
that means you get type 1 later in life--LADA maybe?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.