[IP] Glucagon findings and pizza

I wanted to thank Wayne for the information he provided regarding
glucagon in type 1 diabetics.  Actually, despite his intention for
providing such information, it actually served to further support my
theory (and I emphasize that it is a theory at this point) about why
certain foods such as pizza cause a delayed rise.  I'm going to send e-
mail off to my endo at the University of Michigan with my ideas to see
what he thinks about them.

Anyhow, based on the information Wayne provided, it acknowledged that
Glucagon response in type-1 diabetics functions normally in response to
arginine (which is one of the amino acids found in foods that stimulate
glucagon production) and exercise.  Glucagon regulation in response to
lows and highs, however, is impaired in type-1 diabetics.

I also learned that this release of glucagon can be suppressed
in "normals" (those without diabetes) as well as type-1 diabetics by
having a higher-level of insulin in the bloodstream.  This has several
implications that I won't go into here as they are purely theoretical
at this point.

Anyhow, this information made me wonder if there was a way to stop the
glucagon from being released in response to pizza.  What I have been
doing is giving an additional square wave bolus of 3 units after I eat
pizza to counteract the glucagon...but given this information, and the
fact that several people have, instead, just given HALF of their normal
bolus for the carbs in pizza immediately, and half as an extended
bolus, I thought I'd try something.  By giving an extended bolus of the
insulin for pizza instead of my method of giving all of it immediately,
and then requiring an additional bolus to counteract the glucagon, I
tried the other method of giving half of the bolus as extended,
eliminating the extra 3 units.

I did this using a pizza that is a personal-pan size that is consistant
each and every time to avoid the possibility of variation of portion
sizes.  Anyhow, as expected, by maintaining a higher level of insulin
in the bloodstream over that extended bolus (3 hours for my test), the
normal delayed rise that I normally get did not occur.  So, I required
3 less units for the same exact pizza.

So, this all seems to support the ideal that glucagon DOES cause the
delayed rise...but by keeping the insulin levels higher in the blood
stream for a prolonged period, you can inhibit the body from releasing
the glucason, which is in sync with the research articles that Wayne

Again, this is still theory, but there is now more evidence than ever
as to this.  I'm presenting it here for the purpose of discussion
and "peer" review.  :-)  (As I said, I'm going to actually present this
idea to my endo in hopes that he might have some further insight.  I'd
like to see a research project done in response to this information to
confirm or prove it wrong.)