[IP] who's got the grossest.....

...gusher story?

ok here are mine...I have only had two and both were story worth...but fair
warning, they are grosssssss

Originally posted to IP 30 Mar 1998

This happened to me one time and I thought I was gonna die!  I was changing
my site - It was a fairly new site - like less than 2 days, but it had gotten
really sore, but not red or anything.  I was standing at the kitchen counter
and I pulled the site out (using bent needles at this time)  I wiped the spot
with an alcohol pad and carried on filling the next infusion set.  I noticed
a warm sensation on my stomach and looked down to see blood OOZING out of the
site!  Not gushing but literally thick blood OOZING  - got the picture?  eww

So I wiped it again with the alcohol pad.  Since this was pre-appendix
surgery, I still had a nice roll of fat on my belly, and this site happened
to be on the down side of the roll, so I used one hand to stretch my skin up
a little so I can see. Well, when I wiped the oozing blood off, it was like I
had turned on a fire hose!!  This pin sized hole spewed blood with enough
force to hit my kitchen cabinets.  Stupidly, I stretched my skin up again to
see what the hell is going on and blood continues in a real purty arc around
the kitchen - window, curtains, stove. etc.

I am, as you can imagine, FREAKING OUT!!!.  The two alcohol pads are soaked,
so I grab the kitchen towel and press it into my stomach.  I am bleeding to
death I think.....I go sit down cuz for some reason I am feeling rather
faint, with this
towel pressed into my stomach.  I peek under it only to be rewarded by blood
in my face.  I hold the towel there another minute and peek again - this
sucker is still gushing!  So, living alone as I did, I called 911 and about
the time the operator answered, I thought, I am not going to incur an
ambulance expense, not to mention the ER headache for a mere nose bleed outta
my belly.  So I hung up and sat down again.

I had to keep the towel there another 5 minutes before it stopped bleeding.
At the end of all this, the towel, my underwear, etc. was soaked in blood.
All of this out of a eensy weensy itty bitty pin sized hole.

BUT - it has never happened again, so there ya are - just a freak of nature.

What I think happened is that the needle had nicked a blood vessel at some
point during the day  which starting the initial  discomfort.  It had bled
under the skin but the needle kept re nicking it maybe, cuz I was running
around and doing alot of physical stuff all day.  When I first pulled it out,
the oozing blood was just like clotted blood that had pooled there near the
site - when I wiped the clot away with the alcohol pad, it was like turning
on the hose.  Who know.  I had a nice bruise, but that's it.

Then i had another one a few years later....
originally posted to IP on 5/10/00

I had my second gusher tonight...Only the 2nd one is more than 7 years
pumping...THIS IS GROSS - you have been warned...

SO i have been having awesome bgs since my vitrectomy, but yesterday morning
had 2 unexplainable ones in the 200s.  I noticed a bit of blood just where
the canula enters the skin, so figured I would do a site change...this one
was from last Tuesday anyway....so I did...about 2 inches away,  same side
but further back....plugged in, primed and went about my day....great sugars
all day

Tonight, I woke up around 4am and my hand was on my site...and I noticed my
was not plugged in!!!  GONE!!!  what?  I was still kinda drowsy, so I felt
around...found the pump on the mattress next to me, where I knew it would be,
and followed the tubing to my body...ahhh there it was...I moved my hand back
to the OLD site, which I now realized I had left in, and lifted the tape off,
pulled it off and dozed back to sleep.

Now, it has been hotter than hell's kitchen here in hell's kitchen, NYC so I
am used to
being slightly damp when I sleep, and I didn't think anything unusual when I
felt that first drop of "sweat" roll down my back...as I wiped it away i
thought, "that feels weird"...and as i moved my hand around, it felt awfully
soaking wet for a little sweat, and awfully warm and sticky even for MY
sweat...so i turn on my light...My hand is COVERED in blood.  My arm all the
way to the elbow is covered in blood,  my stomach looks like a prop for ER!!!
 my innie navel is FULL of blood - and it is all over the place...sheet,
pillow, t-shirt, underwear...I grab a tissue...kinda like grabbing a can of
Raid for the plague of the locusts, I would imagine...and hold it to the
"wound"  thick darkish blood OOZING from it...it is soaked in seconds...grab
a roll of toilet paper I keep handy for night time snotty noses and press the
entire roll to me....and watch in amazement as the red spreads through it...

Finally it stops enough so i can get down out of the loft and into the
bathroom to clean myself off.  My roommate for some reason was up watching
TV...scared the crap outta him...I looked like Carrie at the Prom..

LOL I love diabetes...i hope this comes out of the mattress!!!

Sorry to gross you all out...

love ya
Sara SP