Re: [IP] gauging insulin in reservoirs

> Are there actually pumps
> out there in which you have to tell the pump how much insulin is in the
> reservoir instead of the pump automatically keeping gauge on its own?
> The feature of being able to check the reservoir during priming to keep a
> running gauge on insulin content seems to me to be a no brainer, i cannot
> imagine using a pump that doesnt do this.

It gets worse than even that.  I use a 507, and it doesn't even accept the
information being put in.  The way you find out is 1) you stay on the ball
and keep track by checking visually or 2) you get a no delivery alarm.  At
the time I got my pump, I don't think there were pumps out there that did
have that information stored inside them, though I'm not certain of that.

The only pump available today, at least to my knowledge, that doesn't track
it automatically, is the 508.  You estimate and tell it, and it keeps track
based on what you put in.  If you put in faulty information, it will lie to
you.  (I'm not certain about the Dana pump, though, how it works in this
department.  Perhaps someone who knows could tell.)

Otherwise, I think they all track it themselves, some better than others.
Some will do it by whole units, some right down to the tenth of a unit.

When I replace my pump, one of the things I really look forward to is having
one that tells me the amount of insulin remaining in the reservoir.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990