[IP] History of Insulin

As a result of yesterday's exchange, in which

<email @ redacted> wrote:
 > Until NPH was invented, there was nothing but regular available.

and I replied:
 > Sorry Michael, but before NPH we had at least two long acting
 > insulins available. I started on Protamine Zinc Insulin (PZI, made
 > by Lilly) in 1942, and I was switched to Globin (made by Burroughs
 > Wellcome) sometime in the late 1940s. I'm under the impression that
 > PZI had been available for several years before I started on it.

Michael has asked me to write a History of Insulin for the IP web site
FAQ. This is going to require some research, so I am asking the long
termers on this list to try and come up with the names of some old
insulins that are no longer available, along with the names of the
companies that made and sold those insulins. I plan to try and contact
those companies, or their successors, for whatever historical info they
can provide. I am already aware of

(of course) Eli Lilly
Novo Nordisk

I think there are a couple of Canadian companies (Connaught?) but I need
more specifics. I suspect that there may have been other companies in
Europe and India, but I don't think their products have had a
significant influence on insulin in North America. Recent history has to
include Lantus. Also please let me know of any thoughts you have as a
result of this request.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000