Re: [IP] My Reasons (& Nursing Homes) -Cozmo?

This is a good topic that many folks don't have all of
the info on.  As one who is "in the industry" here is
what is up with nursing homes and assisted living
places.  Often, people do not know the difference
between the two.  A nursing home can supply skilled
nursing care 24 hours a day.  This means that people
with diabetes who are on an MDI program (or pump)
would get the care they are used to having.  Assisted
living, on the other hand, does not supply skilled
nursing care and will generally only accept people who
are on fixed dosage insulin programs.  This means that
each day, and for each meal, the resident gets the
same amount of insulin.  If they spike or go low, the
usual procedure is to call the emergency room for
advice.  This, of course, is not what most of us are
using as our care program.  From my experience, most
health care workers in the nursing home or assisted
living communities need a lot more information.  Most
have no understanding of diabetes.  Cynthia

Do you Yahoo!?