Re: [IP] glucagon

<<<<<<I've been looking into the idea that glucagon production doesn't "work"
in Type 1 diabetics. Interestingly, what I found was that is NOT the
case.  I found numerous studies that mention that glucagon production
in Type 1 diabetics
becomes UNREGULATED.  Specifically, that highs don't necessarily stop its
production, and lows don't necessarily trigger it's production in Type
1 diabetics.  However, glucagon can and is still produced by Type-1

Ryan, please check out the following:
1) Lack of glucagon response to hypoglycemia in diabetes: evidence
for an intrinsic pancreatic alpha-cell defect. Science 182: 171-3,
2) Lack of glucagon response to hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetics
after long-term optimal therapy with a continuous subcutaneous
insulin infusion pump. Diabetes 32:398-402, 1983
3) Defective glucose counterregulation after strict glycemic control
of insulin-dependent diabetes
mellitus. N Engl J Med 316:1376-1383, 1987
4) Circulating insulin secretion inhibits glucagon secretion induced
by arginine in type diabetes, Eur J Endocrinology 14:230-34, 2000;
5) Glucagon secretion during hypoglycemia: Implications for impaired
alpha cell responses in type 1 diabetes,  Diabetes 47:995-1005, 1998;
6) Residual insulin secretion is not coupled to a maintained glucagon
response to hypoglycemia in long term type 1 diabetes J. Int.
Medicine 252:342-351, 2002.
7) .......and dozens more if you look.

   Trust me on this ryan--it's a dead issue.  These are smart people
writing in the premier medical journals.

<<<<<<<<<<<Everything I read was in sync with what the pre-pump class
taught about glucagon production in type-1 diabetes. Furthermore, I
had little
reason to doubt the legitimacy of the instructor.  My endo is through
the University of Michigan, which is a VERY reputable research
hospital, and the diabetes program is highly rated.  In fact, they have
done much research, including being one of the three hospitals involved
in the trials for Lantus before it came out.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

	Unfortunately, your instructor didn't read the literature.
Just because someone can obtain work in a hospital in a drug trial
doesn't mean they always know what they are talking about.  It's not
a question of anyone's legitimacy--rather what they know about a
particular topic.

<<<<<<<<<So, the glucagon issue isn't "dead".  In fact, as I've done more
reading, it only seemed to support my theory (which, actually, isn't
even "my" theory...since it was proposed in other locations, including
the insulin-pumpers website itself) that the glucagon production can be
causing the delayed highs after certain foods.  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

	 Why do you insist on a mechanism that doesn't apply to
pumpers?   I'll bet my pump, you couldn't measure any glucagon coming
out of your pancreatic alpha cells. If you continue to stare facts in
the face and ignore them, you're likely to get into trouble, the more
so with diabetes.   We all agree some foods are problematic, but just
because you don't understand why doesn't justify proposing an
incorrect idea.  Even in normals, to get a glucagon release, they
have to infuse large amounts of arginine intravenously---way way way
way way more than anyone could ever get from 2 slices of pizza.

<<<<<< I will operate under the assumption of the "glucagon effect",
as it has allowed me to better regulate my own blood sugars.

	I'm glad you have figured  out how to eat pizza.  So have I,
but I don't think you need to assume anything about imaginary
glucagon to figure out how to do this.  I for one blame it on an
imaginary gremlin (which is equally effective and even begins and
ends with the same letters as glucagon!), and for which there is
likely as much scientific evidence in its favor :-)