Re: [IP] glucagon

I've been looking into the idea that glucagon production doesn't "work"
in Type 1 diabetics.

Interestingly, what I found was that is NOT the case.  I found numerous
studies that mention that glucagon production in Type 1 diabetics
becomes UNREGULATED.  Specifically, that highs don't necessily stop its
production, and lows don't necessarily trigger it's production in Type
1 diabetics.  However, glucagon can and is still produced by Type-1

In fact, there are several on-going studies that are using Type-1
diabetics to better understand how glucagon regulation works.

Everything I read was in sync with what the pre-pump class taught about
glucagon production in type-1 diabetes. Furthermore, I had little
reason to doubt the legitimacy of the instructor.  My endo is through
the University of Michigan, which is a VERY reputable research
hospital, and the diabetes program is highly rated.  In fact, they have
done much research, including being one of the three hospitals involved
in the trials for Lantus before it came out.

So, the glucagon issue isn't "dead".  In fact, as I've done more
reading, it only seemed to support my theory (which, actually, isn't
even "my" theory...since it was proposed in other locations, including
the insulin-pumpers website itself) that the glucagon production can be
causing the delayed highs after certain foods.

Facts that I know:

1.  Certain proteins (actually, amino acids) are KNOWN to trigger the
release of glucagon. At least one of these proteins are KNOWN to be
found in many cheese foods, and other protein-rich foods.
2.  Glucagon stimulates the liver to release glycagen, which raises BG
3.  Type-1 diabetics do not have the ability to (or a reduced ability
to) regulate this release, and so the body can overproduce glucagon.
(In other words, high BG levels won't necessarily prevent the release
of glucagon as would be the case for those without Type-1.
4.  Pizza has a high content of cheese, as well as POSSIBLY (I have to
do more research on this) the pepperoni, which is also protein-rich.
5.  Eating pizza in many Type-1 diabetics (including myself) result in
a high that is several hours delayed, even though BG levels are normal
a couple hours after eating.  In my own tests, I have found that the
combination of fat/carb/protein content plays NO role in the amount of
this rise.
6. The digestion of the proteins in the pizza down into the amino acids
that would trigger glucagon release takes time...more time than carb
digestion. (This can easily explain why there is a DELAY in the release
of the glycagen.)

Whether glucagon is, in actuality, what is triggering the rise, the
term "glucagon effect" that I'm using certainly explains this rise.
The other known chemicals that the body produces that stimulate the
release of glycagen do not play into eating pizza, such as epinephrine
(adrenaline), and cortisol, etc.

I have no "tied" to glucagon being the explanation.  But, for the time
being, that is the ONLY thing that has support and makes sense.  If
further research or more information presents another possibility that
I haven't already accounted for (such as miscalculation of pizza
portions, etc), I'm open to it. Until that time, I will operate under
the assumption of the "glucagon effect", as it has allowed me to better
regulate my own blood sugars.