Re: [IP] problems getting off of Ultralente

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:35:16 -0800 (PST), Michael Robinton
<email @ redacted> wrote:

 > Until NPH was invented, there was nothing but regular available.

Sorry Michael, but before NPH we had at least two long acting insulins
available. I started on Protamine Zinc Insulin (PZI, made by Lilly) in
1942, and I was switched to Globin (made by Burroughs Wellcome) sometime
in the late 1940s. I'm under the impression that PZI had been available
for several years before I started on it.

This is one of the subjects I covered in the 25-page booklet
"Recollections of Diabetes For 60 Years" which I wrote last year so I
could distribute it at my Survival For 60 Years party. It's not on line,
but I will send one to anyone who sends me their snail mail address.

Tom Beatson
dx 12/1942, 506 1995, 508 2000