[IP] Recovering from severe lows-How?

email @ redacted writes:
>Subject: [IP] Recovering from severe lows- HOW?
>Greetings all:
>         A non-pumping college daughter of a dear friend was severely low
>yesterday (has had diabetes since she was 10). Her roommate awakened to hear
>her "gurgling", couldn't arouse her, called paramedics, who tested her at a
>blood sugar of 12 (this is third hand info from the frantic mom in PA who
>flew out to Colorado!). The EMTs supposedly gave her an IV (with dextrose I'm
>guessing?) but she also told her mom she threw up afterwards, so maybe they
>also gave her glucagon- not sure. The frightening part is the daughter has NO
>IDEA why this happened - nothing at all different in her routine. She uses
>Nph and humalog. She's now frightened to go to sleep, so her mom was flying
>out to reassure her ( and herself!) that she wasn't about to die in her
>    So considering my own college-aged daughter is now out of the country on
>Spring Break, THIS mom needs to hear a clearer explanation from the IPers
>about awakening on your own after being unconscious. My friend is convinced
>her daughter would have died if the roommate hadn't been there, & THAT is a
>burden no one should have to bear.
>Renee (Melissa's pump mom - 7 years on a pump TODAY!)

  I had this happen at school about two years ago. It was during finals week and
my room mate had already gone home for the year so when I passed out there was
no one there to find me. Albeit this was not a normal situation because I had
been on
 ultralente for about a month and was realizing that it was making my blood
sugar totally erratic (I was testing every two hours but it still did not do it;
when I ate the same food I would go to 40 or 400 on the same insulin). Anyways I
 unconscious for almost twenty hours and missed two of my long acting shots
before I woke up veeeeeery slowly. I was able to so a test before I could
understand what had happened, I don't remember how low I was but I was still
quite low. I ate tabs
 for several hours before I figured out it was not yesterday any more and I was
not sure what day it was but I had probably missed some finals. I could not stop
shaking for a month. You can definitely survive not getting glucagon but it was
 some thing I wanted to count on! Glucagon really makes you snap back fast but
with out it a low is much harder to recover from (at least that was my
experience). Who know how low I was for all those hours any ways, that's the
real determining
 factor. It did not make me feel any better when people told me a diabetic
student at a neighboring collage had died the same way just a few days earlier.
Really makes you feel like some one is watching out for you. :) After that I was
ready to
 fire my Dr (who would not let me switch back off the UL and even suggested
increasing the dose would fix things). But instead he retired from practice only
a few weeks later and became a spokesman for the ADA!!! Goes to show he really
was not
 putting much into his job at that point. So I found a better Dr and with in a
year was pumping. I can't say how much it has helped my night time lows; which
helps my parents sleep better too. :) Try not to stress about it, the pump makes
all the
difference in the world.