[IP] Recovering from severe lows- HOW?

Greetings all:
         A non-pumping college daughter of a dear friend was severely low
yesterday (has had diabetes since she was 10). Her roommate awakened to hear
her "gurgling", couldn't arouse her, called paramedics, who tested her at a
blood sugar of 12 (this is third hand info from the frantic mom in PA who
flew out to Colorado!). The EMTs supposedly gave her an IV (with dextrose I'm
guessing?) but she also told her mom she threw up afterwards, so maybe they
also gave her glucagon- not sure. The frightening part is the daughter has NO
IDEA why this happened - nothing at all different in her routine. She uses
Nph and humalog. She's now frightened to go to sleep, so her mom was flying
out to reassure her ( and herself!) that she wasn't about to die in her
    So considering my own college-aged daughter is now out of the country on
Spring Break, THIS mom needs to hear a clearer explanation from the IPers
about awakening on your own after being unconscious. My friend is convinced
her daughter would have died if the roommate hadn't been there, & THAT is a
burden no one should have to bear.
Renee (Melissa's pump mom - 7 years on a pump TODAY!)