Re: [IP] ACE inhibitors

Sherry Nolan asked:
>Gail, can I ask why your previous doctor even
>suggested ace inhibitors?

There have been reports that ACE inhibitors are
effective in *preventing* and *improving* kidney
disease and complications in diabetics.  The mode of
action is to reduce the blood pressure in the kidney
tubules (someone with more anatomical knowledge can
jump in here anytime to clarify that).  Studies have
shown that taking ACE inhibitors can (i.e. might)
prevent any kidney disease that diabetics are prone to
have as well as reversing damage already done.

There have been several threads about this very same
thing here on the IP list.  One of the posts even said
"if you're NOT on an ACE inhibitor, why NOT?".

After 30 years of having Type 1, my physician was
trying to be proactive based upon those studies.

A normal dose of ACE inhibitor is in the range of 20
mg per day - to lower one's blood pressure.  My dose
was 2.5 mg.  Conclusion being that at 1/10th the
regular dose, I would not have any problems with
further lowering my BP.

A point of reference - when I was pregnant, the
HIGHEST BP I had was 90/60.  And I was eating salted
sunflower seeds by the 1 lb BAG FULL.  Low and high
BPs tends to run in families.  My father also had
unusually low BP.

Low blood pressure it not typically regarded as a
problem by most physicians.  In fact, if you do a web
search - you will be hard put to find any reference
points to what is considered low BP.  I suppose that
since I am prone to passing out when I stand up - that
must be considered the *danger zone*. :)

Sorry for the chapter on BP.  HTH.

-gail in denver

Do you Yahoo!?