[IP] Re: Glucagon

My question is what then causes a rebound high that I've seen discussed if
you go low in the night and don't wake up? I was always told not to go to
bed drunk,:), because the liver would be processing the alcohol and couldn't
pump out glucagon to save you if you had a bad hypo in the night. If we
type-1s no longer produce glucagon, what is that we pump out of our body
when fasting that requires that basal amount of insulin? Maybe I am getting
my "sugar" terms mixed up! :)

Insulin and Glucagon are hormones.  Adrenaline and Cortisol are stress
hormones.  Sugar is stored in your liver.  Glucagon is only one of the
hormones that will cause your liver to release sugar.  When Type 1's
eventually quit producing Glucagon, as I have also read, they presumably still
produce the other hormones, unless they have other diseases or have exhausted
their adrenal stores from frequent lows.  Adrenaline and Cortisol will also
cause your liver to release sugar, which is what happens during a moderate to
severe low, causing the rebound effect.  That's why you feel shaky, sweaty,
panicky, have a rapid heartbeat, etc.  It's the release of the stress
hormones.  That's why you want to correct a mild low as quickly as possible to
prevent the release of these stress hormones and the subsequent rebound effect
from the sugar dumped from your liver.  If you go low because of alcohol,
however, then your liver is too busy processing the alcohol to release any
sugar for any reason, regardless of hormones.  Even a Glucagon injection won't
be effective at this point.  The only corrective measure is to ingest sugar or
have it injected into your blood if you're unconscious.

The reason for a basal rate is that all people need a background rate of
insulin just to perform certain metabolic functions.  It is not only something
to control your blood sugar.