[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #136

email @ redacted writes:
>I haven't read Dr. Bernstein's book.  What did he have against insulin
>pumps?  Burn those pages of heresy!  (I guess maybe that's not necessary,
>but I still would like to hear what he could not like about pumping.)
  He actually only devoted one short paragraph length section to the pump where
he dismissed it entirely. He must have used the phrase 'you don't want to have
Large Bore Needle in you 24-7' at least three time in a half page. As uninformed
as I was
 about the pump at the time I knew that cannulas had been out for some time when
his book was published in '98 so I felt this was an irrational scare tactic. I
think he though the pump concept was inherently flawed because it relied on carb
 which he considered too inaccurate to be of any use. I guess carb counting was
not appealing to some one who pioneered a low carb diet for controlling
diabetics blood sugars. I still think he was ahead of his time with using the
glycemic index and
blood testing, but he seemed unable to accept new advances.