Re: [IP] Re: Dr. Bernstein's Anti-Pump Tirade? (Was Bolusing for Fat)

> His objectionto the pump at that time was that  the pump interferes with

Once upon a time, the pump DID interfere with showering.  So that was once
true.  I'll give him a pass on that one.  But it clearly is no longer, given
that you can disconnect or even shower with a waterproof one, provided you
figure out a place to put it.

It is also true that it once interfered with swimming, when you couldn't
disconnect from a pump you were not supposed to immerse.  But they came up
with two great solutions:  Waterproof pumps and sport guards.

I do remember, however, one vacation in which we timed our trips to the
beach to coincide with pump change day.  The salt water and the adhesive
didn't agree with each other.

Nowadays, for swimming, I just remove the pump entirely.

Sports?  Uh, maybe, when they were the size of a brick.  I must confess I'm
not very athletic, but I really don't see a problem with most sports and the

Sex.  Hmmm.  I guess it depends on what you are used to.  I've never had a
problem laying it beside me.  I know many disconnect.  But even before being
able to disconnect, the most trouble it caused was pulling it along for a
change of positions.  Most of the time it is quite content to lie there

Perhaps if Dr. Bernstein became familiar with the advances in pump therapy,
he would realize these aren't problems.  But then again, if blood sugar
should NEVER vary, in his thinking, then disconnecting would probably be

I remember a science fair project I did in high school, checking my own
blood sugars and my non-diabetic brother's.  His sugars varied surprisingly
widely.  Occasionally, they'd be as low as 60 (with him feeling no
discomfort at all).  One time, shortly after eating some snack with graham
crackers and honey in it, he peaked at a 160.  So I personally see no
problem with numbers occasionally straying from 90.  If it is good enough
for healthy, non-diabetic people, then it is good enough for me.

It sounds to me like Dr. Bernstein's big problem was being a perfectionist.
Perfection is 90.  I've always thought I was a perfectionist, but I guess
not like that.  Perfectionism with a touch of obsessive/compulsiveness about
blood sugars.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990