No Subject

Early in Gabe's diagnoses we consulted (personally in New York) with Dr.
Bernstein, going through the three day exam and training described in the

We don't use his program anymore, and especially with the pump, don't find it

Remember that Bernstein's  standard is consistent NORMAL BLOOD SUGAR and an
A1C of 4.5 or so is what he desires and expects for his patients.  He keeps
his A1C that way himself.

 Gabe's A1C without the Bernstein program, has always been around

His objectionto the pump at that time was that  the pump interferes with the

 My goal is for consistent, normal blood sugars also, and I find it easier to
achieve when I follow his program. I find that every time I try to prove him
wrong and eat something on his "No, No's in a Nutshell" list, my blood sugar
spikes higher than I'd like it to and I'm chasing it for the next several hours.
This also causes me more anxiety and worry as to what my insulin will be doing
and I have to test more often. I already test about 12 times a day. I realize,
of course, that with trial and error, and lots of practice, I may be able to eat
a more varied diet and still stay in range. For example, I've finally figured
out how to cover corn, yams, and brown rice, which are all forbidden on his

 Being an adult, I also think it's much easier to follow his diet than it would
be if I were a kid. I can't imagine trying to get your teenager to eat salad for
lunch, for example, and nothing but meat and vegetables for dinner. Isn't pizza
a staple at that age? Not to mention never eating sweets. Who would comply? Much
better to figure out how to compensate with the insulin. Plus, the newer
rapid-acting insulins make it easier too.

 He also mentions that A1cs are an average, and can be skewed with highs and
lows. You can have low A1cs, but still be on the rollercoaster, which he's
trying to minimize. He says he strives for 90 blood sugars all the time - not an
average, but ALL THE TIME, and that he has his patients test at least 5 times a
day. Well, depending on what time of day I test, my meter will show 90, but
since I test around 12 times it also shows other numbers (higher and lower than
he'd like) that I wouldn't know about if I only tested 5 times. I'd be curious
to see what a Continuous Glucose Monitor would reveal about his blood sugars. (I
wore a GlucoWatch for 3 days when I was still on shots and was shocked at how
much the number varied every 10 minutes.) Even on his program, I don't think 90
all the time is very easy, if at all possible to achieve as he says.

 As for the 4 S's, I would have to disagree that the pump interferes with those.
I think the pump makes all of those things easier since you don't have to be as
worried about the lows. When I was on shots, I had to make sure I showered for
the day before taking my first morning shot of Humalog, or I would then have to
wait for a few hours until it was done peaking.

dx'd 3/02, pumping 8/02 Paradigm