Re: [IP] bolusing for fat

I, personally, have noticed that fat plays a very small role in causing
delayed rise in blood sugars.  If I eat a lot of fat, it tends to
extend my absorpsion by minutes, not hours.  But, I'm sure each one is

The bigger likely issue is the effect of protein.  Part of the protein
you eat (ranging from 40-60%) will be broken down into carbs, but after
a delay.  I have found that I need to bolus for this protein using an
extended bolus.  So, if I eat food with 50 carbs, and 30 g of protein,
I bolus 5 units now, and then give an extended bolus of 1.2 units to
cover the protein.  This works pretty well.

I've accounted for fat, and it seems that no matter how much or little
fat I eat, it doesn't affect my need for how much I bolus (including
protein), and for how long.

There is a final problem that seems a bit controversial...but I've
witnessed it in myself.  There are certain types of amino acids (found
in protein) that can trigger the body to produce glucagon.  This can
cause a delayed rise in blood glucose that is unrelated to any carbs
actually in the food.  I'm convinced that Pizza is one of these foods,
because bolusing for carbs and protein is not enough.

I did a comparison.  I have eaten the same amount of fat/protein/carbs
from pizza as well as from a Double-cheeseburger value meal.  The
numbers were virtually identical.  ANd yet, the value meal does NOT
cause the delayed rise that pizza does. I'm guessing that amount of
cheese on the pizza causes this "glucagon effect" (as I like to call
it).  I have found that I have to give an extended bolus of 3 units ON
TOP of any bolus I give for the carbs and protein, no matter how much
pizza I eat.

But, I just ignore the fat content in food (wrt insulin
requirements)...as it plays no significant role in affecting my BG