Re: [IP] Lantus pre-pump?

In a message dated 3/12/2003 6:51:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> She is currently on 1 shot a day of Humulin N and Humalog.
> Would it be useful to switch to Lantus and Humalog for the next 6 weeks or
> so so we are comfortable with our backup?  Or is it easy enough to figure
> out
> if we need to?

I was going to say, why not try out your back up system until I re-read your
post.  If your four year old is only used to one shot a day, going with
Lantus and Humalog is going to mean at least four shots a day for her (the
Lantus cannot be mixed like the N and Humalog can -- so you need one shot of
Lantus and then separate ijections of Humalog every time she eats).  Since
you may never have to go back on injections for a long period of time, I'd
say just stay with what you're used to now . . . A pump start is a big enough
deal in the beginning (lots of testing to help figure out basals) that I
don't think you or she need the added stress of those extra shots and the
hassle of trying to get lantus figured out in the next six weeks.  Plus, I
think figuring out Lantus (when and if you ever need to) once you're
experienced with pumping and have all her basal rates and carb ratios figured

Pumpmama to Katie (12) happily pumping with her Animas pump "Elvis" since