[IP] Re: V7 #129 Accomodations for diabetics at college

When I was at university, I never felt the need to contact the school's
disability office. My blood sugars never gave me any problems I couldn't
deal with, however, I did have one professor who gave me some trouble.
During my first year my French Literature professor became quite angry when
I pulled out a juice box and a granola bar in the middle of our exam.  She
took a strip off me telling me ABSOLUTELY NO FOOD WAS ALLOWED in the
examination room. She wouldn't allow me to eat my much-needed snack!  I
somehow convinced her to discuss the matter out in the hall after she'd made
quite the scene in front of the class.  While she stood there red in the
face from anger, I explained my needs to her, showed her my medic-alert
bracelet and even started pulling needles out from my kit.  Finally, she
understood and let me return to my exam. I was quite embarrassed by the
situation but no more than she was I'm sure. I returned to class still
drinking my juice box with my friends smiling from ear to ear.

>From that day on I made sure to let all my professors know at the beginning
of the semester what my needs were.  I let all my professors know that I
needed to have access to my glucometer and snacks during classes and exams.
All my professors had surely heard of their fellow professor's tirade and
were more than accommodating, as should be expected.

All the best,

Xavier Paturel
London, Ontario
email @ redacted

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 12:09:01 -0500
From: "Liz Bailey" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V7 #128

This is for all those college kids and/or parents of college kids out
there.  When you went to college did you work with the school's
"Disability Office" (or whatever it is called) set up any "minor
accommodations" - such as are outlined in my daughter's 504 Plan now.
Things like - if you go low during a test, you can stop the test and
complete it later?  Eating in the middle of a test? etc. Or did you ask
for (and get!) any accommodations on housing - like an air conditioned
dorm? a semi-private refrigerator for the insulin? etc.

Just wondering what most people do as my daughter will be starting
college in the fall and she is wondering if anything is really necessary
at this level.

Liz B.