Re: [IP] Bagel's ?????

----- Original Message -----
From: <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 8:06 AM
Subject: [IP] Bagel's ?????

> I am fairly new to the whole insulin pump thing and counting carbs etc.
> I have been on Paradigm pump for about a month now and have been trying to
> vary my meals to see how much insulin I need for each.
> Normally for breakfast I will have a good size bowl of bran flakes & OJ.
> My bs is usually fairly normal within an hour.
> This week I switched and have been eating a bagel w/cream cheese & OJ.  My
> bs are way high 2-3 hours after I eat.
> Example I checked it this morning before I ate and it was 160.  I gave
> myself a correction bolus and also my bolus for breakfast.  I checked it
> about 2 1/2 hours later and it was over 300.
> Does anyone else have this problem??????
> Sarah Roscoe

What are you figuring for carbs on the bagel?  I know the neutritian books
use 30 grams, but the bagels I buy vary from 45 to 60 grams depending on the
brand. Fresh bakery bagels may go as high as 75. Orange juice is about 15
grams for 4 ounces. Cream Cheese is a fat and protein and will slow down the
metabolism of the bagel.

Sounds like you are underestimating the amount of carbs.

Best wishes,