[IP] Treating Low Blood Sugar

Just curious, how do most people treat lows?  My doctor told me when I go
below 90, turn off the pump until I come back up to 110.  If I need to eat
about 15-20g of fast acting carbs.  Sometimes, if I catch right after it
goes below 90, depending on time of day, it can take 1.5 or 2 hours to come
back up to 110.  However, I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't turn
off the pump when you're low, because it really won't help you due to the
lag time it takes insulin to work, and even if you turn it off you've still
got insulin in your system that will be working for the next 1-2 hours.
Then after that you'll spike because of the insulin you missed from having
the pump off for 1-2 hours.  Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on
this theory.