Re: [IP] Hypo-Hyperglycemia

>     I was talking with a friend the other day about diabetes, and we came
> differences in opinion on the following point.  Is it possible to be
> hypoglycemic (or hyperglycemic) without being diabetic?

Hypoglycemia is quite frequently diagnosed without diabetes.  In fact, when
we get hypoglycemic, it is a reaction to taking too much insulin (or getting
the proportions of insulin, exercise, and food out of sync), but some people
without diabetes can get it naturally.  It is fairly common, and you
probably know someone with hypoglycemia.

I would imagine that some level of hyperglycemia is also possible, simply
because insulin resistance that is severe enough to be diagnosed as diabetes
(talking more like type 2 here) doesn't happen overnight.  Chances are that
people begin to drift upwards with their blood sugars before they become

Whether or not that ever happens in someone who won't eventually become
diabetic, though, I don't know.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990