Re: [IP] Depression

> Hi,I have a few questions for those of you who are suffering from
> depression or have experienced depression in the past.  Lately, I've been
> feeling very down and hopeless about things.  I'm tired all the time and
> I'm not motivated to do anything except sleep and watch TV.  I've had
> bloodwork done and I know it's not my throid or iron levels or anything
> like that.  I think the stresses of diabetes, financial difficulties,
> schooling, and work are finally getting to me.  Here are my questions:
> Who do I speak to about this? My choices are my endo (who I see on
> Monday), my school clinic (who don't really know me), or my family doctor
> (who's 2 hours away and takes months to get into).How do I approach this
> with my doctor? I'm the type of person who likes to pretend everything is
> ok and I'm afraid that when I'm actually speaking to my doctor I'll
> chicken out and not say anything about how I've been feeling.What do
> people find works best for them? Medication, psychotherapy, or both?Thanks
> for any help/advice you can give me. Just to clarify, I'm not feeling
> suicidal or like I'm going to hurt myself. It's just a constant feeling
> of hopelessness and fatigue and it's affecting my academic and work
> performances.Sara

There are statistics available about the prevalence of depression in
diabetics.  But those are just useless statistics.

It is quite normal to be overwhelmed with diabetes.

I have found that medication was the most useful course for me.  But as
always YMMV.

I would talk to all the doctors you mentioned until you get a referral to a
doctor who specializes in treating people with depression.

Good luck to you.  Please keep in touch with us.