re: [IP] unexplained low??

Karen wrote:
Anway, I wake up this am with a 294 at 7:00, frustrated, I take my
correction bolus 1 for 25 so I take 7 units, playing it safe.  Then I go
about my business and re-check at 9:00, and my BS is 118.  Ok, life is good,
right???? At 10:00 I have 2 pieces of banana bread which according to the
package would be about 92 carbs.  I take my 9 units.

My response,

This is NOT an unexplained low.
 You were in trouble if you were in target 2 hours after taking your correction.
Humalog and
 Novolog both last for 4 hours, so you still had unused insulin from your
 You should have calculated your unused insulin from the 7 units, and subtracted
that from the 9
 units you took for the banana bread. There are several ways to calculate unused
insulin, and it's
 defnitely a YMMV thing, but the way I figure mine, you still had at least 35%
of the 7 units
 unused. That is a little more than 2 units. So you should have taken only 7
units for the banana

Pumping 7 years.

Do you Yahoo!?