[IP] Re: 1st meter stories

Jan wrote -I did the pee thing (well, was supposed to) for 32 years - then
told I had to test my BGs for a year ('82) to get a pump. I used the ChemStrip
bG strips, which I cut in 1/3s cuz they were so expensive. So, when
I got my first expensive meter (given to me) and could not cut strips and
use it, I gave it away. That's my first meter story.

I also started BG testing about the same time (after about 10 years of
the "pee thing" which I had pretty much decided was useless) - more seriously
of course in 1983 before I became pregnant and also cut the strips to save
money because my insurance didn't cover them and of course did not use a
meter.  When I was in labor my endo wanted me to read the visual strips
because he felt I was better at it than the nurses - as if having contractions
wasn't enough to do!  Also poked my fingers without a device for a long time.
We had to put the blood on the strip, wait a minute, wipe it off, wait another
minute, then compare the color.  It realy makes me appreciate my One Touch
Ultra meter with 5 second readings!

Type 1 29 1/2 years, pumping 3 1/2 years