[IP] Re: 1st meter stories

> And I remember in 1981 being actually yelled at by the head of
> endocrinology at a university medical center when he looked at my
> logbook because I sometimes tested a couple hours after meals (I
> ordinarily saw a resident, but occasionally had to see this monster).
> I explained to him that I was doing it mainly to make sure that I had
> eaten enough and was not going low (like, before I drove home <gr.>),
> but he was insistent that it was inappropriate for me to have this
> information.  <snip>

When in the hospital and they drew one test for a BG, I'd ask the nurse
later what it was. "Oh, no, we can't tell you. You'll have to ask your
doctor tomorrow." Sometimes the dr. didn't think you needed to know.

> Having
> spent over 25 years without home bg testing, I wanted to get as much
> use as possible out of it, and still consider it  the greatest
> improvement in diabetes care in my lifetime (but would be very happy
> for a greater one to come along <gr.>).

I see 4 greatest improvements in *my* DM care over my 52+ year history:
Pumps
Home BGs
Humalog
Internet - and the things I've learned about pumping from pump lists that my
endo didn't teach me the first 16 years!

@
Dialyzing since 7/8/02

Learning from the school of hard knocks is very informing, but the tuition
is too high.

+