[IP] Re: Avoiding rises in blood sugar after eating

<My understanding, and, of course, I may be wrong, was that after a meal, it
was expected that it would take about three hours (or whatever your duration
of your insulin is, I guess) for your blood sugar to get back to normal
a meal.  You could EXPECT to be 250 one hour after eating; in fact, if you
compensate for that number, you may well go low later on from having more
insulin in your system than you have carbs for.  It was also normal to be
or 180 two hours after eating.

However, from what I am understanding here, not everybody has this happen.
read about people checking 10 or 12 times a day.  This likely includes some
times soon after meals.  But some of these same people "hardly ever" see
sugars above 200.  Sometimes they "worry" when it hits 140!>
Kristen, I am one of those people.  I test about 12 times a day, rarely go
over 200, and prefer not to ever go over 140.  The new guidelines recommend
that you be less than 110 before meals and less than 140 two hours after
meals.  The only time I ever spike to 250 is if I eat high-glycemic index
foods like pasta, white rice, bean burritos, etc.  Consequently, I avoid
those kind of problem foods.  High-glycemic index foods will hit your blood
stream faster than insulin will, unless you take your insulin ahead of time
to offset this.  The problem with that though, is you risk going low before
or during your meal if you don't time it just right.
I tend to eat low-carb foods and my blood sugars are much more stable.
Notice I said "low" carb, not "no" carb (some people on the list confuse
this difference).  By eating low carb, I avoid the "white sfuff:"
refined-flour products, sugar, white rice, milk, potatoes, etc.  I also
avoid fruit juice and breakfast cereals.  The carb content of my meals is
made up mostly of vegetables and salads (unlimited amounts), brown rice and
other whole grains (1/2 cup portions).  In fact, eating low-carb, I eat a
lot more vegetables and fiber-rich foods than I ever did before I was
diabetic and eating "high carb."  So when people say eating low carb is
unhealthy, they are incorrectly assuming "no carb."
When I splurge and eat a large meal with a higher amount of carbs, protein
and fat, I bolus for the carb content based on my insulin:carb ratio, and
then turn up my basal rate for 2-3 hours to cover the meal or set a
square-wave bolus.  Bolusing more at the beginning of the meal would cause
me to bottom out.  The only way to figure out what works for you is through
constant trial and error.  As always, YMMV.
dx'd 3/02, pumping 8/02