[IP] first meters

As a diabetes nurse educator, CDE, I remember the first meter I ever saw. It
was the Ames Dextrometer. It had to be plugged into the wall, calibrated each
time it was used, took a tremendous drop of blood that had to be washed off
with a little wash bottle of water. The patient who had just bought it
brought it into our endo office to show it off. WOW, were we impressed. It
was huge, about the size of a shoebox as I recall. The Autolet was the first
lancing device I was familiar with, as well, affectionately referred to as
the "guillotine"

Anne Geller RN, CDE