Re: [IP] Re: Accu-check meter

> Do you remember the lancet device that looked like a jackhammer?  It was
> Autolet and was dark blue.  It had those yellow platforms.

We called it "the guillotine."  We were told while in the hospital there
were nicer ones available, and I only used that awful thing *while in the
hospital.*  As soon as I was released, my parents took me to a pharmacy or
some place like that, and we got a much more friendly poker.

A few times I misplaced or broke my nice poker and had to go back to the
Autolet.  It was almost impossible to force myself to push that very
resistant button.  I wondered many times why they made it so hard to use.

When I was in the hospital, I was told, "If you have to get diabetes, 1985
is the year to get it."

Many times, retrospectively, I have thought how right they were.  Not that
it wouldn't be better to get it NOW, but that it was good to miss the years
of urine testing, of glass syringes, of diabetes management by the seat of
one's pants.

The Autolet may have been awful and a harsh method of doing the job, but it
was MUCH better than what preceded it -- nothing but tablets, a beaker, and

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990