Re: [IP] perinatologist & my 20 week sonogram results

> the Dr. just couldn't see the left hand's 4 fingers. His hand seems to
stop at
> his first knuckles BUT HE DOES HAVE HIS THUMB! We hoped he just had his
> clamped but the Dr. didn't think so after looking at every angle. So, that
was a
> hard bit of news to swallow! Especially after all the excellent control
> kept since way before we got pregnant and my 5.3 & 5.2 A1cs! It just goes
> show that even though we read so many pumping Moms write about how easy
> carefree their pregnancies were even with "plenty of high BGs" God has a
> different plan for each of us!

Chances are, this is just "one of those things" that happen to anyone.  The
diabetes is probably totally unrelated.

My mother had a baby with multiple hearth defects (and she isn't diabetic.)
That baby died at three months when I was 7 years old.  As you can imagine,
when I had my ultrasound, and the doctor studied the heart for a very long
time with my first, I was afraid.  Then he said everything looked "normal."
So I was fortunate.

Ultrasounds, though they have improved considerably, still are not to be
relied upon for certainty of a defect.  It is still possible that Alex's
hand is complete, but that the doctor just didn't see it.  Keep praying to
that end.

Otherwise, if his only problem is that he lacks a few fingers, it is still
so much better than it could be.  One can thrive without four fingers.  One
cannot thrive with multiple heart defects, at least not without a lot of

When you think about it, we are all "defective" in some way.  Ours, being
diabetes, isn't readily visible to others, but we have a defect.  Let me
assure you that though my children are physically healthy, I am well aware
that somewhere inside them is a "defect" of some sort.  But they are
loveable in spite of their imperfections.

dxd 1985, pumping since 1990